[Hong Kong, 27 September 2021] The Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute (ASTRI) showcases a portfolio of its cutting-edge 5G technologies at the PT Expo China 2021 in Beijing from 27-29 September.
Adopting the theme of “5G Innovation for Digital Future”, ASTRI demonstrates its technologies and innovations that enhance the competitive strength of enterprises in Hong Kong, the Greater Bay Area and around the world.
PT Expo China is the ICT ecosystem’s leading annual event, hosted by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of China. It provides an international platform and networking opportunities for the ICT ecosystem in research and development, applications, and market trends. The theme of this year’s event is ‘Innovation lights up Digital Future’ – focusing on emerging technologies such as 5G, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, cloud computing, big data, blockchain, XR, quantum computing, and their applications.
Dr Justin Chuang, Vice-President, Communications Technologies at ASTRI, said: “We have been developing 5G and C-V2X technologies since 2016 and continuously collaborating with various industry partners to address market needs. We are happy to showcase the fruits of these efforts. Our latest Easy 5G solution covers 5G O-RAN base station, 5G Core and 5G MEC, and is customisable to support emerging and diverse applications. Our C-V2X solution is already in open road test, aiming to provide real-scenario experiences to support the road map of smart mobility that eventually enables autonomous driving. We look forward to joining hands with more partners and contributing to smart city in China and globally.
EASY 5G technology solution
It is a cutting-edge end-to-end mobile network technology solution, covering 5G base station, 5G MEC (Multi-access Edge Computing) and 5G Core. It is innovative, with commercial-grade and proven quality, strong market potentials and social benefits. It can lower the entry barrier for SMEs to enter 5G market. Easy 5G technologies have been licensed to many customers including quite a few technology giants for commercialisation and contributed to Hong Kong’s 5G rollout.
- 5G O-RAN Solution: ASTRI’s Easy 5G adopts O-RAN (open radio access network) base station design — an emerging 5G network deployment and business model that enables open, virtualised, and fully interoperable RAN. It supports diversified hardware platforms (ARM/x86/SoC) and allows mobile network operators (MNOs) to mix-and-match RAN equipment components from different suppliers.
- 5G SA Core and UPF: ASTRI’s 5G core network software on Intel platform has demonstrated a world-leading UPF data throughput exceeding 1.3Tbps earlier in 2020. ASTRI’s 5G Core is evolving to support 3GPP Rel. 16/17, including TSN (Time Sensitive Networking) over 5G and 5G-LAN for industrial IoT; network slicing, which enables operators to maximise the return on investment via efficient usage and management of the network resources; and Orchestrator for network autoscaling.
- 5G MEC: ASTRI’s MEC delivers intelligence-enabled services at the network edge with benefits of reducing latency, enabling disruptive vertical services and improving infrastructure’s efficiency.
5G+AI application technologies
Cover from Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything (C-V2X), smart city neuron platform to visual positioning technologies for emerging applications such as Automated Guided Vehicles (AGV). Combining with 5G high bandwidth, ultra-low latency and massive IoT capabilities, these technologies provide new and innovative applications:
- 5G C-V2X for Smart Mobility: C-V2X is the future of transport. ASTRI’s C-V2X network solution is in Open Road Test now, which symbolises a milestone in Hong Kong’s Smart Mobility. Together with 5G technologies, C-V2X solution will enable effective, accurate and faster information sharing that improves road safety and traffic efficiency and pave a way towards future development of autonomous vehicle.
- Neuron Platform for Smart City: ASTRI’s Neuron Platform is a 5G-based ICT software platform for smart city that enables a framework of data collection, processing, and sharing to accelerate the adaptation of smart city development. The platform is cloud-based and can be deployed at network edge and central office. The Platform trial network has been deployed in Hong Kong Science Park.
- 5G AGV solution for Industrial IoT: ASTRI develops a new semantics visual SLAM (simultaneous localisation and mapping) technology — a method used for autonomous vehicles that lets drivers build a map and localise their vehicles in that map at the same time. The developed solution integrates machine learning and AI to enable a smarter and simpler indoor/outdoor navigation for AGV.
- Perception and High Precision Positioning Technology: The technology is based on single camera with innovative camera calibration technology that provides low-cost, low-latency and high precision positioning services such as C-V2X, Autonomous Driving, and Smart City. ASTRI’s technology is field verified and used by our partners in mass-production.
For more information, please visit ASTRI’s booth E2756 during the exhibition.
ASTRI showcases a portfolio of its cutting-edge 5G technologies at the PT Expo China 2021 in Beijing.