[Hong Kong, 1 May 2023] The Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute (ASTRI) garnered 34 R&D awards at the 48th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva (Geneva Inventions Expo), the highest number of awards ASTRI has ever received at this event, consisting of a Special Award for Innovation – King Abdulaziz University, 2 Gold medals with the Congratulations of the Jury, 6 Gold medals, and 25 Silver and Bronze medals, is one of the most awarded organizations among Hong Kong delegations.
Awarded with the Special Award for Innovation is the “TrainLite: Small Data AI Learning Platform for Visual Defect Inspection” developed by Dr. Wong Ka-yiu, Senior Manager of ASTRI’s IoT and AI Technology. The innovation can lower the entrance requirement of developing quality inspection of production lines for manufacturers, and enhance production efficiency and quality. More and more manufacturers are eager to drive Industry 4.0 transformation through technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), but there is not sufficient big data that is mature enough to support it. To resolve the pain points of having insufficient data in the industry, the TrainLite platform assists manufacturers to develop AI learning prototypes with limited data and make automatic quality inspection of production lines possible at a lower cost, while enhancing production efficiency and quality. The technology can be applied to various products, including fabrics, printed circuit boards, chips, automobiles, coverglass and displays. Dr. Wong Ka-yiu is a locally trained female researcher. She also won a gold medal with another project “OptiSurface: Zero-dead-corner Optimized Path Planning for Surface Inspection”.
With the Coronavirus Disease epidemic improving, smart city construction becomes a key to the revival of the city. This year’s award-winning innovations cover cutting-edge technology including communication technology (CT), Internet of Things (IoT), AI and robots, propelling new industrialisation and intelligent manufacturing. The two Gold Medals with the Congratulations of the Jury were received by the 5G R&D projects from CT team, which are proofs to the leading role of ASTRI on CT over the years. The project is “Network Coding Enabled 5G IAB Multi-Hop Networks for Smart Cities and Rural Communications” co-developed with n-hop Technologies Limited and “5G Robotics: 5G-Enabled Cloud Robot for Transformation to Industry 4.0. The Network Coding Enabled 5G IAB Multi-Hop technology can increase data transfer rate and reduce data loss, applicable to C-V2X, IoT, robots and rural communications. The 5G Robotics project is able to assist manufacturers to install expandable and remote cloud-controlled automated robots with a lower cost which can perform complex industrial tasks efficiently and accurately.
Other award-winning projects are related to smart city development, including Digital Health technology, FinTech and Blockchain, Smart Mobility technology (C-V2X), corporate cyberinfrastructure, and HoneyNet – Early Threat Hunting and Anticipation Network. Mr Aaron Cheung, Assistant Engineer of Integrated Circuits and Systems, the youngest in the teams, received a gold medal for his “RoboCharge AI System: The Smart Charging System for Autonomous Mobile Robot” at the age of 24. ASTRI has endeavoured to nurture local I&T talents and hopes that these remarkable results at the event could encourage more researchers who are passionate about I&T to keep working hard in developing various technological applications, promoting the implementation of R&D outcomes, and making good use of innovative technologies. These could bring a convenient smart living and business environment for citizens, speed up the development of the city and its economy, and propel Hong Kong into an era of smart technologies.
Ir Sunny Lee, Chairman of ASTRI, said, “ASTRI’s innovations have received the best results ever at the Geneva Inventions Expo and we are honoured to be recognised for our efforts at one of the most prominent global exhibitions for inventors. We will continue to raise our R&D capability and levels and invest more resources in nurturing all-rounded R&D talents, so as to drive I&T development in Hong Kong and contribute to the society with more applications of smart technology.”
Dr. Denis Yip, Chief Executive Officer of ASTRI thanked all the hard work made by the teams and added, “Smart city technology is indispensable in societal development. ASTRI provides a diversified research and development platform for R&D talents, allowing them to unleash their innovative ideas and cultivate new technology for society with the support of ample space, advanced technology and equipment. We actively promote collaboration among the industry, academic and research sectors to drive the implementation of R&D outcomes and move beyond empty talk. ASTRI has gained record-breaking results at the Geneva Inventions Expo this year and won 34 awards for the first time, which is a sign of affirmation to Hong Kong’s R&D talents and projects. My heartfelt congratulation and gratitude to all the researchers and teams for their hard work and contributions to the I&T industry.”
The International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva is jointly organised by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), the Swiss federal and state governments, as well as the city of Geneva. With its coveted global standing, it is regarded as the world’s biggest and most prestigious exhibition for inventions. The International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva 2023 has attracted an estimated 1000 inventions from 40 countries and regions.
The full list of awards accorded to ASTRI at this year’s International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva is as follows:
Special Award for Innovation – King Abdulaziz University
- TrainLite: Small Data AI Learning Platform for Visual Defect Inspection
Gold medal with the Congratulations of the Jury
- Network Coding Enabled 5G IAB Multi-Hop Networks for Smart Cities and Rural Communications
- 5G Robotics: 5G-Enabled Cloud Robot for Transformation to Industry 4.0
- OptiSurface: Zero-dead-corner Optimized Path Planning for Surface Inspection
- MetaVision: True 4K2K AR/VR HMD with Sensing
- SafeMark: Optical Security Label for Anti-counterfeit, Data Encryption & Storage
- SmartSight: Smart Eye Tracking for Vision Impairment
- CyberGuard: A System of Machine Learning Based Network Flow Analysis for Cyber-Crime Threat Intelligence
- RoboCharge AI System: The Smart Charging System for Autonomous Mobile Robot (AMR)
- SemiconDoctor: Coaxial Line-Scan Confocal 3D Sensing System
- AquaBrain: Self-Adaptive Optimization Framework for Water Quality Prediction
- LaserTouch: Ergonomic Laser Finger Controller
- Bright-ENDO: AI Solution and System for Computer-Aided Gastroscopy
- PowerGuard: Power Line Communication Interference Reduction and Elimination System
- SmartPowerHub: The Energy Efficient Solution for Renewables and Smartgrids
- SafeConnect: The Next Generation Digital Arc-less Charging Solution
- Speed and Reliable Pass: High-Speed I/O System for EDA Cloud Computing
- LongLife: Low Power Voltage Detector For Advanced CMOS Process
- Instant5G: Enhancing Future Enterprise Networking Infrastructure with 5G Network
- EnhancedV2X: An Innovative Road Network System to Improve Road Safety and Traffic Efficiency
- TrainLite: Small Data AI Learning Platform for Visual Defect Inspection
- SearchWise: Fine-grained Visual Content Search Platform
- StressAlert: Short Term Stress and Health Alert Detection
- SmokeWise: False Alarm Suppressed Smoke Detection with Multi-Dimensional Metric Monitoring
- SonicSort: Classification of Materials Using Acoustic Sensing
- FedCredit: Breakthrough Dynamic Differential Privacy to Federated Learning Systems for Credit Scoring
- AutoInsure: The Future of Hassle-Free Car Insurance Claims
- Blockchain Interoperability Solution: Multi-mode Bridging for Blockchain Systems
- AccuBronchus: Easy Airway Sizing from EB-OCT Imaging
- TargetBoost: A Better AI Framework for Targeted Advertising – Multidimensional Knowledge Transfer
- DeadtimeDefender: Smart Wireless Charging with Temperature-Driven Deadtime Control
- Anti-spoofing Smart Lock: Low-powered System that identifies fake faces
- SmartData: Smart Crowdsourcing Data Management with Blockchain
- 5GIoTRail: Smart Transportation with 5G
(Second Right) Dr. Wong Ka-yiu won the Special Award in Geneva Inventions Expo 2023 with her project “TrainLite: Small Data AI Learning Platform for Visual Defect Inspection”
Professor Sun Dong, Secretary for Innovation, Technology and Industry, congratulated the winning teams at the Prize Presentation Ceremony of Geneva Inventions Expo 2023.
(From right) Dr. Denis Yip, Chief Executive Officer of ASTRI; Dr. Wong Ka-yiu, Senior Manager of ASTRI’s IoT and AI Technology
ASTRI garnered 34 awards which is the highest number of prizes that have ever received at the Geneva Inventions Expo.