1. 5G Enterprise Edge Gateway - Networking Functions a. Local 5G User Plane [phase 1] b. Application Function for setting policy and rules to the local UPF [Phase 1] c. Secure connectivity to the operator network (via SD-WAN/IP sec tunnels) [Phase 1] 2. 5G Enterprise Edge Gateway – Orchestration Functions a. Provisioning the 5G Enterprise Edge Gateway from the operator network [Phase 1] b. Configuring and managing of the distributed MEC gateway [Phase 2] c. Monitoring capabilities, such as remote log, metrics, alerts, diagnosis [Phase 2] d. Redundancy for failure and recovery [Phase 2] 3. System Integration [Phase 2] a. Build distributed 5G systems with public cloud as a Proof of Concept 4. Performance and Capacity a. 5G Enterprise Edge Gateway (Gateway) at least 20Gbps throughput on platform with 8 core CPU b. 10000 5G users or devices per Gateway c. Up to 1000 Gateways supported per enterprise 5. ITF CS Deliverables (Zyxel) a. Enterprise Edge Gateway Software: On premise gateway, Export device logs, Device HA b. Orchestration Software: Subscription control, Lab mode, Support security device Note: SD-WAN: software defined wide area network, MEC - 5G enterprise edge UPF - user plane function HA - High Availability (meaning redundancy)
China Mobile Hong Kong Company Limited [Sponsor]
Zyxel Networks Corporation (ITF-CS) [Sponsor]
5G offers edge computing capability as a key technology to support low latency, efficiency and flexibility with superior performance and quality of experience. 5G can be beneficiary for not only network operators, but also enterprises to enable value added applications and services (such as industrial internet-of-things).
The proposed project aims to research, define, develop and deploy a 5G network architecture for enterprises to deploy 5G on premise, including:
- Flexible sharing of computing resources, hardware, software and topology of the operator network
- Ability in localizing the access control, data traffic for routing/traffic steering to the applications in the local data network
- Secure data exchanged between enterprise and the operator network
- Service orchestration to simplify management by remote configuration, management and monitoring.
The project team will focus on considering the ease of deployment and application scenarios for the enterprises in the operator network. This not only allows enterprise to have new use cases for applications and control, but also a new business model for the enterprises.