NB-IoT is a new global standard based on public and spectrum-licensed mobile operator networks. It is a wide area wireless technology which enables ubiquitous connections. Anything can be connected to the network from anywhere, regardless of its distance.
NB-IoT is a part of the global 3GPP Release 13 standard published in June 2016 optimised for Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) applications with the following advantages:
- Low Power: Battery life up to 10 years
- Low Cost: Cost-effective and affordable enough for mass-scale deployment
- Enhanced Coverage: Covers heavily shadowed environments
- Massive Deployment: Billions of connections
ASTRI provides NB-IoT solutions including RF transceiver, baseband and System-on-Chip for terminals and sensor nodes.
NB-IoT supports a wide variety of applications across many different industries such as:
- Smart Cities: Streetlights, parking, connected cars, waste management
- Smart Metering: Water metering, gas metering, electrical metering
- Smart Building: Alarm system, access control, HVAC control
- Environmental Monitoring: Pollution monitoring
- Intelligent Manufacturing: Industrial control, supply chain orchestration
- Consumer Electronics: Wearable electronics, tracking goods, white goods