BLE is one of the key enabling technologies for short-range wireless IoT applications and wearable electronics. BLE 4.2 release was a significant upgrade with improvements in connectivity, security, speed and reliability. BLE 5 is the latest version of the core specification. The new specification will quadruple the range, double the speed and increase data broadcasting capacity by 800%.
- RF Transceiver
- Digital Baseband
- Analog and Digital Peripherals
- -95dBm Rx Sensitivity
- +3dBm Tx Output Power
- 10mA Power Consumption @Core VDD
NB-IoT is a new global standard based on public and spectrum-licensed mobile operator networks. It is a wide area wireless technology which enables ubiquitous connections. Anything can be connected to the network from anywhere, regardless of its distance.
NB-IoT is a part of the global 3GPP Release 13 standard published in June 2016 optimised for Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) applications with the following advantages:
- Low Power: Battery life up to 10 years
- Low Cost: Cost-effective and affordable enough for mass-scale deployment
- Enhanced Coverage: Covers heavily shadowed environments
- Massive Deployment: Billions of connections
ASTRI provides NB-IoT solutions including RF transceiver, baseband and System-on-Chip for terminals and sensor nodes.
NB-IoT supports a wide variety of applications across many different industries such as:
- Smart Cities: Streetlights, parking, connected cars, waste management
- Smart Metering: Water metering, gas metering, electrical metering
- Smart Building: Alarm system, access control, HVAC control
- Environmental Monitoring: Pollution monitoring
- Intelligent Manufacturing: Industrial control, supply chain orchestration
- Consumer Electronics: Wearable electronics, tracking goods, white goods
Hall sensors have been simulated in virtual fab platform. Several design parameters such as dimension, doping concentration, contact size have been simulated and optimised using TCAD. Hall voltage and sensitivity curve have been obtained to predict the performance of the sensor. Other process options such as p+ implant on top, replacing n-well with p-sub have also been simulated to compare the performance.
In this project, ICCAP of Agilent is used to extract DC and RF model for the devices fabricated in 0.13um SOI process. Both active devices including MOSFET, diode and bipolar, and passive devices such as resistor, capacitor and inductor models are extracted. As for MOSFET, floating body (FB) device, single body contact (T Type) and double body contact (H Type) device are covered in model extraction. Model lib includes temperature, noise and RF. Corner model is also included to include process variations. Automatic layout tools developed in this team is applied to generate nearly thousand device patterns. The models are qualified by commercially available QA tools (MQA).
Whole chip ESD protection scheme is designed to provide effective ESD protection for integrated circuits fabricated in several technology nodes. Protection devices are designed and verified using TCAD based process and device simulation, which are utilized in I/O ESD protection circuit and power clamps. Developed ESD protection schemes can provide effective ESD protection up to 8000V in Human Body Model (HBM) test without latch-up problem. Compact model for ESD protection devices is also provided to enable fast and efficient ESD simulation with core circuit.
- Total ESD solutions for 0.5 um 200V SOI BCD process (HBM 2000V)
- Total ESD solutions for 0.35um CMOS process (HBM 4000V)
- Total ESD solutions for 0.13um CMOS process (HBM 2000V)
- Total ESD solutions for 65nm CMOS process (HBM 2000V)
- Total ESD solutions for 55nm CMOS process (HBM 8000V)
- Total ESD solutions for 40nm CMOS process (HBM 2000V)
- Total ESD solutions for 16nm CMOS process (HBM 2000V) (on-going)
ASTRI has established a family of low power ADC IPs.
12/14 bit low power Successive Approximation Register (SAR) ADC delivers low power and low cost analog to digital conversion of reasonable performance for portable medical and sensor devices. ASTRI’s IP is already in mass production for various applications.
- Sampling rate up to 1Msps
- Ultra low power
- ENOB = 11.2b
- Silicon proven: TSMC 0.18um, TSMC 0.25um, SMIC 0.13um
24-bit sigma delta ADC is based on sigma delta technology intended primarily for instrumentation applications. It consists of a second-order three-bit quantizer noise shaping modulator and digital decimation filter.
- Low input-referred noise: 1.5uVrms
- Multi-bit feedback DAC with Data-Weighted Averaging to achieve low power consumption
- Unity feedforward architecture for low distortion
- 2nd order modulator loop, stable for full scale input
- 1Ksps sampling rate
- Internal or external reference
- SPI interface
The three-channel analog front-end is a highly integrated solution for G-sensor application. The IP has been licensed to a leading SoC design and service provider and its products are already in mass production.
- Integrated low power 13 bit SAR ADC
- Internal temperature sensor with digital output
- Low noise programmable gain amplifier
- Internal configurable RC oscillator
- Internal power-on-reset circuit
- Ultra low current consumption
- SPI interface
The SPO2 analog front-end is a fully integrated analog solution for medical pulse oximeter applications.
It supports flexible pulse sequencing and timing control from 200Hz to 1KHz for individual LED and up to 3 LEDs at same time.
- Integrated LED driver (H-Bridge, push or pull)
- 8 bit programmable LED current range from 25mA, 50mA, 75mA to 100mA
- Independent LED3, LED2, LED1 current reference
- Input-referred noise: 50 pA (RMS) (at 5 μA powerdown current)
- 5 noise-free bits (at 5 μA powerdown current)
- Analog ambient cancellation scheme with selectable 1 μA to 10 μA ambient current
- I-V amplifier with seven separate LED2 and LED1 programmable feedback R and C settings
- Reconfigurable 12/16/20 bit ADC depending on applications
ASTRI’s uncooled infrared micro-bolometer readout IC is a high resolution, low power consumption and low noise signal sensing IC for deployment in thermograph applications, such as night vision, surveillance and medical imaging, which require high resolution imaging capability.
- 640 x 480 pixel focal plan array
- Pixel pitch = 20um x 20um
- Uncooled operation (with or without thermo-electric cooler)
- Adjustable integration time
- Adjustable integration capacitors
- 2 analog outputs available
- Digital selection mode via SPI
- Power consumption < 360mW (without thermo-electric cooler)
- Output dynamic range: 1.0V to 4.0V
- On-chip temperature sensor
- Typical responsivity: 10mV/K
- Frame rate up to 60Hz
- Row by row reading mode
- User defined windowing capability
ASTRI’s low power wireless ECG module allows anyone with a smartphone, tablet or PC to monitor their heart health anytime anywhere with ease.
- Fully integrated analog front-end IC for ECG applications
- Configurable 12 bit SAR ADC
- Programmable instrumentation amplifier
- Integrated digital low pass filter
- Compact module size (60mm x 38mm x 22mm)
- Support Bluetooth wireless connection
ASTRI received the IoT Technology Gold Award and Best IoT Product Award in the Hong Kong IoT Awards 2014, and the Guang Dong – Hong Kong IoT Award 2014, respectively.